Docudrama | English | 150 minutes
The film covers the last quarter-century of the life of British painter J.M.W. Turner. Turner travels widely with contrasting experiences like visiting a brothel while mingling with aristocrats. He is also daring. On one occasion he strapped himself to the mast of a ship so he could better paint a snowstorm. He is both adored and reviled by the public and royalty. Profoundly shaken by the death of his father, he finds comfort with his housekeeper, Hannah Danby and develops a loving relationship with his landlady, Sophia Booth. But his passion is painting magnificent landscapes that currently grace some of the most eminent museums of the world.
Why Stream This Film?
By the end your understanding of Turner’s life and his brilliant landscapes will be deepened. And this makes the film worth watching.
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 97%
- Metacritic Score: 94
- Cannes Film Festival: Winner, Best Actor (Timothy Spall); Best Cinematographer (Dick Pope)
- London Critics Circle Film Awards: Winner, Best Film of the Year; Best Actor (Timothy Spall)
- National Board of Review: Listed, Top Ten Independent Films
- National Society Critics Circle Awards: Winner, Best Actor (Timothy Spall); Listed, Top Films of the Year
- New York Film Critics Circle Awards: Winner, Best Actor (Timothy Spall); Listed, Top Films of the Year
Now streaming on:
MR. TURNER understands creative people on every conceivable level, and translates that understanding with a deftness rarely seen outside of astute documentaries about creative people.
MR. TURNER is a mighty work of critical imagination, a loving, unsentimental portrait of a rare creative soul.”
The sumptuous film, based on Cuarón’s own childhood, reverberates not only with innocence but with the awful intuition of its collapse.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
Basquiat chronicles the early career of the introverted, homeless, graffiti artist who worked anonymously under the name “Samo”…
In 1939, sax-player Charlie “Bird” Parker moves to New York from Kansas City and begins performing at local jazz clubs…
Robert Stroud is imprisoned as a young man for committing a murder in Alaska. His rebellious attitude puts him in conflict with Harvey Shoemaker, the prison warden…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
email@example.com / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: