Dog Day Afternoon
Docudrama | In English | 125 minutes
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 96%
- Metacritic Score: 86
- Academy Awards: Winner, Best Original Screenplay (Frank Pierson); Nominated, Best Picture; Best Director (Sidney Lumet); Best Actor (Al Pacino); Best Supporting Actor (Chris Sarandon)
- British Academy Film Awards: Best Actor (Al Pacino)
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards: Winner, Best Film; Best Director (Sidney Lumet); Best Actor (Al Pacino)
- National Board of Review Awards: Listed, Top Ten Films of the Year
- The film was deemed “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant by the Library of Congress and was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.
Now streaming on:
In DOG DAY AFTERNOON a complex relationship grows among the criminals, the victims, the police, and the press. Knowing they’re on TV, hostages comb their hair and killers say the things they’ve learned on the evening news. But Lumet’s film is also a study of a fascinating character: Sonny, the bank robber who takes charge, played by Al Pacino as a compulsive and most complex man. He becomes one of the most interesting modern movie characters.
DOG DAY AFTERNOON is Sidney Lumet’s most accurate, most flamboyant New York movie. DOG DAY AFTERNOON is a melodrama, based on fact, about a disastrously ill-planned Brooklyn bank robbery, and it’s beautifully acted by performers who appear to have grown up on the city’s sidewalks in the heat and hopelessness of an endless midsummer.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
In the late 1890s, Stavros and his Greek family live a precarious and brutal life in the Turkish Ottoman territory…
Vincent van Gogh’s last years are spent in Arles, the sunny part of France. His brother, Theo, supports Vincent and also buys…
LA BAMBA is a musical bio of the life of 1950s rock ‘n’ roll phenom Ritchie Valens (born Richard Valenzuela). At age 17, he makes it big with two songs, “La Bamba” and “Donna,” that reach the top…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
email@example.com / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: