A Man for All Seasons
Drama | English | 120 minutes
Cardinal Wolsey is attempting to obtain from the Pope an annulment of Henry VIII’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon, a marriage that has not produced a male heir. With the annulment, Henry would be able to marry Anne Boleyn. However, Sir Thomas More is the only member of the Privy Council to oppose Wolsey. The devoutly Catholic Thomas feels that only God can annul this marriage. Hearing this exchange is Thomas Cromwell, Wolsey’s aide. Henry visits Thomas at his estate and implores him to change his position. Thomas refuses. Cromwell then offers Richard Rich, an acquaintance of Thomas, a position at the Court, if Rich can dig up damaging information about Thomas. Thomas is subsequently informed Henry has written a new oath that all must sign or face charges of high treason. When Thomas reads the oath declares the King Supreme Head of the Church, Thomas refuses to sign. A trial ensues and Rich, promised to be Attorney General of Wales, lies under oath. Thomas is sentenced to death. Before the execution by guillotine, Thomas declares, “I die his Majesty’s good servant, but God’s first.”
Why Stream This Film?
A gripping story about the conscience of a minister of the Crown, Sir Thomas More, and his refusal to support an erring King Henry VIII. In 17th century England, this is traitorous and the punishment is death. A memorable and timeless film produced from an Academy Award winning script and memorable performances.
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 83%
- Metacritic Score: 72
- Academy Award Winners: Best Picture; Best Director (Fred Zinnemann); Best Actor (Paul Scofield); Best Screenplay (Robert Bolt)
- Directors Guild of America: Winner, Outstanding Directorial Achievement (Fred Zinnemann)
- Golden Globe Award Winners: Best Motion Picture, Drama; Best Actor, Drama (Paul Scofield); Best Director (Fred Zinnemann); Best Screenplay, Motion Picture (Robert Bolt)
- National Board of Review Winners: Best Film; Best Director (Fred Zinnemann); Best Actor (Paul Scofield); Best Supporting Actor (Robert Shaw)
- New York Film Critics Circle Award Winners: Best Film; Best Director (Fred Zinnemann); Best Actor (Paul Scofield); Best Screenplay (Robert Bolt)
Now streaming on:
Producer-director Fred Zinnemann has blended all filmmaking elements into an excellent, handsome and stirring version of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS.
Fred Zinnemann has done a fine job of putting upon the screen the solid substance of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, Robert Bolt’s play about Sir Thomas More, and in so doing he presents us with an awesome view of a sturdy conscience and a steadfast heart.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
Rahim is given a two-day leave from an Iranian debtor’s prison. Rahim borrowed money from a loan shark and was unable pay it back when it came due…
Alice Hyatt’s husband is killed in an auto accident in New Mexico…
Emmi, a 60-year-pld window-cleaner and a widow in Munich, enters a bar to get out of the rain. With the jukebox playing music…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
firstname.lastname@example.org / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: