Drama | English | 130 minutes
In 1993, a struggling mother, Erin Brockovich, wangles a job in Ed Masry’s law office. She’s asked to help with the purchase of Donna Jensen’s home by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) in Hinkley, California. Erin visits Donna and discovers she’s had several tumors removed, her husband was diagnosed with lymphoma, and many other residents in Hinckley suffered similar illnesses. Erin is shocked when she is told that Hinkley’s water is contaminated with the carcinogenic hexavalent chromium. Meanwhile, PG&E has been telling Hinkley residents that they use a safer form of chromium. During her investigation, Charles Embry a former employee of PG&E, provides Erin with a memo proving that PG&E headquarters knew the water was contaminated with hexavalent chromium, did nothing about it, and advised their Hinkley office to keep it secret. In a class action trial, the judge orders PG&E to pay $333 million to be distributed to the plaintiffs. Ed Masry, who at one time wanted to fire Erin, gives her a well-deserved bonus.
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 84%
- Metacritic Score: 73
- Academy Awards: Winner, Best Actress in a Leading Role (Julia Roberts); Nominated: Best Picture; Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Albert Finney); Best Director (Steven Soderbergh).
- Golden Globe Awards: Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Julia Roberts)
- BAFTA Awards: Best Actress in a Leading Role (Julia Roberts)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Winner, Outstanding performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Julia Roberts); Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role (Albert Finney)
- AFI Awards: Winner, Movie of the Year
Now streaming on:
Julia Roberts marches through ERIN BROCKOVICH like a force of nature. The actress seizes the film’s eponymous role with fire in her eyes and injects the character with all the energy and drive she can muster.
ERIN BROCKOVICH will make you laugh. It will make you cry. It will make you stand up and cheer. It’s the feel-good movie of the year.
An exhilarating tale about a woman discovering her full potential and running with it. ERIN BROCKOVICH is everything that inspirational true-life stories should be and rarely are.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
In Missoula, Montana, the Maclean brothers, Norman and Paul, and their father John…
The film, About Elly, begins when a group of three married couples, their three children, Ahmad, a recently divorced young man, and Elly, the attractive, single teacher…
Samuel Sayer and his sister Rose are British Methodist missionaries in the village of Kungdu in German-controlled East Africa…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
firstname.lastname@example.org / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: