Romeo and Juliet
Drama | English | 138 minutes
In the Italian city of Verona, the Montague and Capulet families are constantly feuding and are at each other’s throats. One night, two teenagers, Juliet (a Capulet) and Romeo (a Montague), meet at a masked ball and fall in love. After a brief courtship, they elope. Juliet’s parents, unaware of the marriage, arrange for Juliet to marry the wealthy Count Paris. Juliet is bereft. She takes a potion that simulates her death for 42 hours. Romeo, under the impression that Juliet is dead, commits suicide. When the potion wears off and Juliet recovers, she is told of Romeo’s suicide. Juliet, in turn, takes her life. The two families attend the joint funeral and condemn the feud that took the lives of their young, innocent children.
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 95%
- Metacritic Score: 69
- Academy Awards: Winner, Best Cinematography (Pasqualino De Santis); Nominated, Best Picture; Best Director (Franco Zeffirelli)
- National Board of Review: Winner, Best Director (Franco Zeffirelli); Listed, Top Ten Best Films of the Year
- Directors Guild of America: Nominated Best Director (Franco Zeffirelli)
- Golden Globe Awards: Winner, Best English-Language Foreign Film; Most Promising Newcomer – Male (Leonard Whiting); Most Promising Newcomer – Female (Olivia Hussey)
Now streaming on:
ROMEO and JULIET has been filmed many times in many ways. But the favorite version is likely to remain, for many years, Franco Zeffirelli’s 1968 production.
Franco Zeffirelli’s ROMEO and JULIET is a lovely, sensitive, friendly popularization of the play – the lovers, Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey, are young and full of life. It is the sweetest, the most contemporary romance on film this year.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
During a performance at a London Music Hall, Richard Hannay hears a gunshot…
Behnaz Jafari is a popular actress in Iran. She sees a video of a young girl, Marziyeh, pleading for help to escape the stifling restrictions of her conservative family…
In 1987 Communist Romania, Otilia and Gabriela, two female college students, share a dorm room…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
firstname.lastname@example.org / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075