Romeo and Juliet
Drama | English | 138 minutes
In the Italian city of Verona, the Montague and Capulet families are constantly feuding and are at each other’s throats. One night, two teenagers, Juliet (a Capulet) and Romeo (a Montague), meet at a masked ball and fall in love. After a brief courtship, they elope. Juliet’s parents, unaware of the marriage, arrange for Juliet to marry the wealthy Count Paris. Juliet is bereft. She takes a potion that simulates her death for 42 hours. Romeo, under the impression that Juliet is dead, commits suicide. When the potion wears off and Juliet recovers, she is told of Romeo’s suicide. Juliet, in turn, takes her life. The two families attend the joint funeral and condemn the feud that took the lives of their young, innocent children.
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 95%
- Metacritic Score: 69
- Academy Awards: Winner, Best Cinematography (Pasqualino De Santis); Nominated, Best Picture; Best Director (Franco Zeffirelli)
- National Board of Review: Winner, Best Director (Franco Zeffirelli); Listed, Top Ten Best Films of the Year
- Directors Guild of America: Nominated Best Director (Franco Zeffirelli)
- Golden Globe Awards: Winner, Best English-Language Foreign Film; Most Promising Newcomer – Male (Leonard Whiting); Most Promising Newcomer – Female (Olivia Hussey)
Now streaming on:
ROMEO and JULIET has been filmed many times in many ways. But the favorite version is likely to remain, for many years, Franco Zeffirelli’s 1968 production.
Franco Zeffirelli’s ROMEO and JULIET is a lovely, sensitive, friendly popularization of the play – the lovers, Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey, are young and full of life. It is the sweetest, the most contemporary romance on film this year.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
Rahim is given a two-day leave from an Iranian debtor’s prison. Rahim borrowed money from a loan shark and was unable pay it back when it came due…
Alice Hyatt’s husband is killed in an auto accident in New Mexico…
Emmi, a 60-year-pld window-cleaner and a widow in Munich, enters a bar to get out of the rain. With the jukebox playing music…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
email@example.com / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: