Sense and Sensibility
Drama |English | 136 minutes
On his deathbed, Mr. Dashwood implores his son, John, from his first marriage, to take care of his mother and her three daughters, Elinor, Marianne, and Margaret. Under British law at that time, women in the family were not entitled to receive an inheritance. John promises to do so but his cruel and greedy wife, Fanny, makes sure they receive nothing. John and Fanny evict John’s sisters and his mother and take over the house. Mrs. Dashwood’s cousin, Sir John Middleton, offers them a cottage on his estate. This helps but, with no inheritance, Mrs. Dashwood and her daughters are impoverished. The hope is that the two older daughters will marry wealthy men. Elinor’s hopes are high after she meets Edward Ferrars; Marianne is torn between handsome John Willoughby and the older Colonel Brandon. Being a Jane Austin story, the romances become convoluted before they are resolved.
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 97%
- Metacritic Score: 84
- Academy Awards: Winner, Best Screenplay (Emma Thompson); Best Actress in a Leading Role (Emma Thompson); Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Kate Winslet)
- BAFTA Awards: Winner, Best Film
- Golden Globe Awards: Winner, Best Motion Picture; Best Screenplay, Motion Picture (Emma Thompson); Best Director, Motion Picture (Ang Lee)
- National Board of Review: Winner, Best Film; Best Director (Ang Lee), Best Actress (Emma Thompson); Listed, Top Ten Films of the Year
Now streaming on:
SENSE and SENSIBILITY is not another stuffy literary adaptation. It’s an exuberant, well-crafted film with great understanding and emotional clarity, filmed with an elegance that never calls attention to itself.
SENSE and SENSIBILITY, made with love and wit, reminds us how much charm, liveliness, passion, good sense – and sensibility – Jane Austen provides.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
During a performance at a London Music Hall, Richard Hannay hears a gunshot…
Behnaz Jafari is a popular actress in Iran. She sees a video of a young girl, Marziyeh, pleading for help to escape the stifling restrictions of her conservative family…
In 1987 Communist Romania, Otilia and Gabriela, two female college students, share a dorm room…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
email@example.com / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075