Neo Noir | English | 138 minutes
Three temperamentally different policemen collide while working on various investigations: narcotics detective Jack Vincennes, a flamboyant party guy with links to Hollywood celebrities; Bud White who witnessed the beating of his mother and is brutally determined to take revenge; Ed Exley, the rich son of a big developer. The three cops agree to join forces to uncover a wave of gangland slayings that leads them to a high-class bordello. The investigation becomes complicated when White and Exley grow obsessed with glamorous Lynn Bracken working in the bordello. The trio begin to witness the corruption and lies of powerful men who believe they are protected from everything.
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 99%
- Metacritic Score: 90
- Academy Awards: Nominated, Best Picture; Best Director (Curtis Hanson); Winner, Best Screenplay (Brian Helgeland, Curtis Hanson); Best Supporting Actress (Kim Basinger)
- Golden Globe Awards: Nominated, Best Motion Picture, Drama; Winner, Best Supporting Actress (Kim Basinger)
- Writers Guild Award: Winner, Best Adapted Screenplay (Brian Helgeland, Curtis Hanson)
- The United States Library of Congress selected L.A. Confidential for preservation in the National Film Registry as “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”
Now streaming on:
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL offers the old-fashioned pleasures of a well-told, complicated, well-acted story, done in classic ’50s film-noir style, along with the modern movie jolts of graphic sex, language and violence. First rate entertainment.
FLarge chunks of novelist Ellroy’s brilliant (and often hilarious) dialogue are preserved and the actors clearly relish the meaty lines. Dante Spinotti’s lush cinematography and Jeanne Oppewall’s crisp, meticulous production design produce an eye-popping tableau of ’50s glamour and sleaze.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
firstname.lastname@example.org / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: