The Talented Mr. Ripley
Drama | English | 139 minutes
When rich industrialist Herbert Greenleaf notices that Tom Ripley, the piano player at a cocktail party he’s hosting, is wearing a Princeton jacket, he has an idea: offer Tom $1,000 plus all expenses to go to Italy and convince Greenleaf’s philandering son, Dickie, to return to the United States. What Greenleaf doesn’t know is that Tom is a fraud. He never went to Princeton. His real job is being a washroom attendant. So, of course, Tom readily accepts the offer. Tom hooks up with Dickie and his girlfriend Marge sunbathing at a luscious Italian seaside resort. Dickie, of course, doesn’t remember Tom from Princeton. But the relationship continues and the deceptions become dangerous for both Tom and Dickie. As Sir Walter Scott wrote, “Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.” That’s what The Talented Mr. Ripley is all about.
Why Stream This Film?
- Rotten Tomatoes Score (Critics Consensus): 84%
- Metacritic Score: 76
- Academy Awards: Nominated, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Jude Law); Best Screenplay (Anthony Minghella); Best Original Score (Gabriel Yared)
- Golden Globe Awards: Nominated, Best Motion Picture- Drama; Best Director (Anthony Minghella); Best Actor (Matt Damon); Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Jude Law)
- BAFTA: Winner, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Jude Law)
- National Board of Review: Winner, Best Director (Anthony Minghella); Best Supporting Actor (Philip Seymour Hoffman)
Now streaming on:
The sumptuous production, eclectic score, grand performances and engrossing moments of suspense make RIPLEY one of the year’s finer offerings.
Mr. Minghella now establishes that his Oscar-winning triumph was no fluke. His hypnotic, sensually charged adaptation of Patricia Highsmith’s fascinatingly reptilian murder story has the same kind of complex allure that made THE ENGLISH PATIENT so mesmerizing.
YOU MIGHT ALSO CONSIDER:
Emmi, a 60-year-pld window-cleaner and a widow in Munich, enters a bar to get out of the rain. With the jukebox playing music…
Janne is an unemployed thirty-something publishing professional who encounters an old friend, Robert. He offers her a job…
Cardinal Wolsey is attempting to obtain from the Pope an annulment of Henry VIII’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon, a marriage that has not produced a male heir…
If you found this site helpful, please recommend it to a friend. We also welcome your comments.
firstname.lastname@example.org / call 917-439-3364
P.O. Box 20038
New York, N.Y. 10075
Follow us on social media: